This 7-day gastronomic program of Umbria is a longer version of the “mini”, 4-day tour and includes a stay in Norcia, after which we invite you to spend a few days in another part of Umbria, in order to see how, even within the same region, the production of products and recipes of local dishes varies from one area to another. The second part of the program includes a stay near the city of Perugia – Umbria ‘s capital, founded well before Rome! Perugia is the ancient Etruscan bastion whose massive, travertine fortified walls still surround the city, whose entrance is at the ancient gateway number 7. Perugia, built upon a mountain with a breathtaking view of the entire valley, boasts a circular fountain in its central square, considered one of the most beautiful in all of Italy. Its fortress is known as “Pompei of Umbria” because of the ancient city center discovered under it during archeological excavations. Here is where famous painter Perugino, master of the great Raphael, once worked Perugia is also known as the “Chocolate Capital” of Italy, thanks to the “Eurochocolate” festival held annually in its city squares. The most grandiose festival of chocolate in Europe, during this festival the city is literally covered with chocolate- most of all by its local brand “Perugina”, made world-famous for the production of its bite-sized chocolate candy “Baci”(“Kisses”), individually wrapped in an enclosure with a written message, hidden inside, of popular expressions and sayings associated with love.
During this tour, you will:
– Visit the sausage shops and cellars of the town of Norcia’s famous Mastro Peppe, where you will taste delicious homemade sausages;
– Take part in 2 cooking classes both conducted by professional chefs, together with whom you will prepare 2 different types of typical, Umbrian meals, which you will enjoy at lunch;
– Visit two of the most famous wineries of Umbria: the “Arnaldo Caprai” winery in Montefalco and “Lungarotti” winery in Torgiano; followed by the tasting of the finest wines and snacks;
– Take a trip to where the famous cheese of the Sibilline mountains is made, including a demonstration and a mini-lesson on how the cheese is produced, followed by lunch with delicious local cheeses and lentils;
– Visit an olive oil production mill, followed by a delicious lunch made of fresh, local products;
– Go hunting for truffles with an authentic truffle hunter and his specially-trained dog;
– Visit the famous “Perugina” chocolate factory and participate in the Chocolate Master class and the preparation of the famous chocolate “Kisses”;
– Visit to a saffron production farm, with the tasting of saffron products;
– Walk in the picturesque towns of Narni, Spoleto, Norcia, Deruta, Perugia and Orvieto;
– Enjoy two million other positive, fascinating experiences and impressions!
On your tour you will be accompanied by an English-speaking guide throughout the entire program and move on comfortable buses or minivans.
Scheduled in the tour are accommodations at four-star hotels Hotel Palazzo Seneca in Norcia, and Borgo dei Conti Resort in Montepetriolo, just a few a kilometers from Perugia. This is a residential complex located on 20 hectares and is a fortified medieval settlement, namely, the “Borgo” in Italian. This castle hotel is part of the prestigious Relais & Chateaux chain, ensuring you maximum comfort and impeccable service. The property features tennis courts, mini-football field and basketball court, swimming pools for children and adults, as well as a fitness center and a spa area, all included for the hotel’s guests. The hotel is also equipped with wi-fi. The magnificent park surrounding the hotel grounds is ideal for take a peaceful stroll or for complete relaxation. The local chef is at your disposal not only to assure the most delicious meals but also for cooking lessons.